The village of Ballachulish is just south of the village of Glencoe, and is split into three parts as in this we will include South Ballachulish and North Ballachulish as there is a bridge to join the two, and north of Appin. The village was build up due to the ferry crossing at the mouth of loch Leven which now has a bridge as previously mentioned and also because of slate quarries. The name actually means "Village of the Narrows" which makes sense at least for the parts of the village at the bridge.
Ballachulish Hotel now stands on the site of the original house where the orders were received by Campbell of Glen Lyon to murder the Mcdonalds of Glencoe in the winter of 1692. The whole area from Appin in the south, to Glencoe in the north is steeped in history from the treachery of those damned Campbells to the Jackobite rebellions of 1745. There are many historical sites in the area which date from these troubled times. Including the Appin murder in 1752.
was shot by musket in the woods on his way to collect taxes. It
was James Stuart who was tried and convicted by a Campbell jury.
The mountains above provide excellent hill walking for those who want to climb in the area. Like all mountains in the Argyll ranges, they should be treated with respect in all seasons but particularly in the winter months where they can be as challenging as any Alpine mountain.
There is also has a fine golf course with spectacular views. It may not be unusual to play golf in Scotland and to watch eagles while trying to achieve one on the course, but in Ballachulish it is unusual not to see such icons of the mountains.