The castle stands on a rocky bank above the main road about one mile north of Kilmartin. Built around 1565 by John Carswell who became the first protestant Bishop of Argyll and the Isles. There is easy off road parking just below the castle. The castle is now looked after by Historic Scotland. According to history the castle was captured and partly blown up in 1685 by Maclaine of Torloisk when the then Campbell owner took part in the Monmouth Rising
The castle is a fine example of a tower house with adjoining hall. The tower house is an amazing 5 stories, a skyscraper of the 16th century. There is no entry fee and access to the castle is all year round. As the car park is situated below the castle ridge, good walking shoes are recommended.