Situated on a rocky promontory on the western shores of Loch Goil, Carrick castle is now being restored after falling into disrepair. Its location is both striking and dramatic and, if you enjoy a good walk, there is a sign-posted walk through the Argyll Forest Park from Ardentinny (see map below).
The current building is believed to be the second on the site, dating from the 12th century. Belonging originally to the Lamonts, it passed to the Campbells of Argyll in the 1300s. A rectangular Tower house was built in the 15th Century with a further addition some 300 years later. Records show that Mary, Queen of Scots was a guest at the castle in around 1563. During the Argyll rebellion against the accession of James VII (and II) as head of the Scottish Kirk, Carrick castle was captured and destroyed by john Murray, Marquis of Atholl in 1685
Although a roofless ruin still, it remains impressive with 2 floors above a Central Hall. It also claims a “curiousity” – a small chimney built into a recess in a window!