The castle overlooking Tarbert and its harbour and approaches from Loch Fyne is an example of a Tower House castle. In fact it is only the tower house which is now left standing. In fact if you look carefully around on the grass hillocks beside the caste it becomes obvious that this was once a substantial building, probably about a similar size to the magnificent Skipness Castle a little further south.
The castle is unfortunately in a really bad state of disrepair and is held up by both scaffolding and in places by the ivy that is growing up the walls. It is currently in the hands of the Tarbert and Skipness community, however it needs a funded project to help at least to maintain what is left otherwise there will be little to see in future years.
There has been some work lately that will help preserve it but a
partial rebuild would be ideal.
Tarbert castle was built in the early 13th century and in the early 14th century (1325) it was added to and strengthened by Robert the Bruce. At the end of the 15th century (1494) James IV built the Tower House and repaired much of the rest.
In 1499 the castle was turned over to Archibald, Earl of Argyll. Historically all was silent until 1685 when a force of about 2000 militia joined the castle in support of the rebellion against James VII (of Scotland of Course). After the fall of the rebellion the lands were confiscated and the ill fated earl of Argyll at that time lost his head.
The nearest Town is Tarbert Loch Fyne, with its harbour vies and fishing port pier.